2.03.2005

The Omnipresent hunger

There is no escape from this. I wanted to try to make this not-a-dating blog. But too much happens. Encounters of the romantic kind are always out of the ordinary, always eventful. The smallest thing can mean everything. One person smiles to himself when he thinks you aren't looking, and it makes your fear goes away. The simple touch of a hand can be the most thrilling thing in the world. One little word, a plain old "yes" can change your whole life. So this is why I give in. Once again I bring you tales from the dark side, I mean my love life.

Something surprising happened this afternoon. Not a big deal or anything. Nothing life changing for sure. But, it gave me a smile. Someone took a risk which we should take a moment to admire.

My school email account becomes inaccessible to me regularly throughout the year. Our passwords expire after a few months. If we don't change them in the two weeks before the expiration then we get locked out. This happened over Christmas break. I didn't bother to fix it because I was on vacation. Today I grit my teeth to face the wrath of bitter students and the emails I knew awaited me. In order to gain access to our emails we have to go to campus (contained within an urban highrise) down to the basement where the Help Desk and its minions reside. I went down to the lab and had my password reset. Thinking it best to deal with the emails right away, I sat down to read and respond to the angry messages I expected to have received.

There weren't too many of them. Some people need to schedule a make up exam, and there was some confusion with some incomplete grades. My favorites were the emails from the smart obnoxious kids who made teaching hell for me last year. They wanted to know why they didn't get the A's they expected. I guess they forgot to notice on the syllabus that 25% of their grade is participation. Then I read this:


Just wanted to extend you my wishes for a happy New Year, and it was a pleasure to be your tutee.
[Part of email withheld from publishing.]

<>Anyhow, I'd like to meet with you again sometime, if the opportunity presented itself. My number is xxx-xxx-xxxx if you'd like to get together sometime.... ;-)


When I first read it I got annoyed. I was trying to formulate my standard response giving my office hours and telling the dissatisfied student to come see me if he/she needs me to explain his grade. But I couldn't tell what this student's problem was and why he wanted to make an appointment with me. I was about to send a reply asking what the student needed to discuss but then I read it again.

Wait a minute, he doesn't seem to have a problem with his grade. Why does he need to see me? Huh. It sounds like he just wants to see me for me no reason. Why? Could he be asking me out? Ohhhhhhh... yeah there goes the winking emoticon at the end. The little flirt! He is asking me out. This guy always sat in the front row of my night class: nice student who participated, good attendance, did an extra credit presentation and was friendly to me after class. I think I remember him winking at me once. But one time he told us some long story about his girlfriend whose family is in the Mafia and how they drove her uncle's tinted caddy down to West Virginia and got harassed by the local bubba cops....

Girlfriends aren't permanent. He's not jailbait at least, unlike this student. Whom I ran into last November one night on the way to class. I was so embarrassed to see him that I blushed fiercely when he started talking to me. Lucky for me it was night and dark enough that he shouldn't have seen that. (He filled out since the previous year.) He said he knew I didn't still remember his name but I surprised him and got his name right. Though I'm sure I stumbled the words. Good thing he didn't have his glasses on or I probably couldn't have talked at all.

That's the end of this little story. Nothing major. I had a small yet pleasant afternoon shock. This guy stuck his neck out in a cute and polite way. I'm not sure how to respond yet.

Why did my weak resolve break down on something so insignificant? Because it wasn't insignificant to him. I imagine he spent some time working out the words or wondering when he should send the email. Maybe he was nervous. I've done the email asking out myself and it's not as easy as you might think. And how bold is that to ask out your professor? While the grades are still wet no less. Good for him.

As a youngish single female whose stir-crazy hormones punish my body daily, (I'm actually going to the doctor tomorrow about that), a major part of my life belongs to the romantic vein. The single person carries the burden of a desire to be with another person and that desire colors everything around her. Every encounter may present a new opportunity. Every outing holds the possibility for love; whether to parties, the grocery store, the laundromat, church, class, the subway, walking on the sidewalk... each corner we turn offers a tiny sliver of hope--that on the other side is someone for you. And the phone. Everytime it rings, a small part of you thrills at the possibility that someone is calling for you. When the phone remains silent, we secretly sulk.

Even when you tell yourself you don't care and you aren't looking, that's a lie. You can subdue the desire and hope, you can ignore it, you can direct your attention elsewhere but it doesn't go away. No matter how busy, how happy, how fulfilling your single life may be, the nagging 'little' need never goes away. So you never really shut down the search engines. You're forever looking for something that will tell you who or how or when the need will be fulfilled.

I had to learn that the hard way. In my earlier years I decided marriage wasn't important to me because I had other things to do. So dating was a recreational sport I didn't take seriously nor bother much about. I thought that I'd be just fine living solo for the rest of my life thank you very much. And I worked on that and lived with that belief. Until my 25th year, my first time teaching. I had no roommate at the time so I lived alone. For the first time I had a kind of professional validation, gained from teaching. It was a sign that I was on the way to being successful and achieving my goals. I expected to feel some contentment or satisfaction. But I did not. I came home night after night to the empty apartment. I had no one to call. No one to talk to. No one asked about my day. And I realized how meaningless it was. My success seemed no success at all. At the end of the day it didn't matter what I accomplished because there was no one else who cared. I had a crisis over this. I had to re-adjust my life goals and priorities. I had to accept that I had been wrong. Accept that I really didn't want to be alone and that this wasn't ok. For someone as stubborn as myself, this was hard.

Now, four years later I still struggle with this. Because you can't dwell on it. You can't afford to focus all your energy or time on the hunt for love because that's not healthy. Nor do I like dwelling on it which is why my boredom surfaced. I'm working really hard at the moment to return to functional human being mode, which means re-adopting my life coping skills, such as trying not to care too much about the love life.

Alas, here is the cruelest joke of all. The most basic and essential need of the human soul, the want of love from another soul, must be subdued in order to be fulfilled. The desperate person is unhealthy and unattractive. The obsessive person is scary. The harder you look, the less you find. Singletons must get on with life anyway. We work to fulfill our lesser needs. But the truth is we live each day with the omnipresent hunger gnawing at our souls. Yet we go on. And on. And on . . .

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What'd I tell ya? You can't avoid it.

Is the Jewish guy still around?

Man, when it hits us independent types, isn't it a train wreck? I used to sneer at the college girls, so obviously in school just for an MRS degree. It hit you earlier than me. Not until I was 29 did I realize that marriage wasn't something I wanted out there in my distant future, but right now! It's hard changing life patterns (avoiding eye contact, brushing off every come on that isn't just right, staying home all the time) overnight. I've been single all my life, but I wasn't living the single life until a few years ago. It's wearing me out!!! 

Message from Kwirki Girl

Anonymous said...

JL ~ I've been reading your blog for a few months now. And I have to tell you - even though we have gone down completely different paths in life - at the root of it all - your words are my thoughts. This post is the way I feel everyday. It's nice to know you are not alone. Thank you.  

Message from Michelle

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're words hit me right in the gut.

And it's so true, no matter how much I focus on all the other stuff I have going on in my life--things that I think make me successful-- in the end, well, to quote you "...the truth is we live each day with the omnipresent hunger gnawing at our souls".

That is a haunting line. 

Message from Lizzy

Anonymous said...

JL, you speak the truth, once again! I actually always did want to get married, but not until I was 26 or so. I suppose I assumed Mr. Right would just show up. But he didn't. Or, rather, I thought he had, but I turned out to be very very wrong.

I'm supposed to be a career woman, on my way to being an attorney. And while I can feign happy and fulfilled, while I can think "I'm not looking for him," I know I always am. They always say "it happens when you're not looking for it," but how exactly at this point am I supposed to not look for it? 

Message from Kelly

Anonymous said...

Ah, great post, JL. I haven't been single for over 24 years now, but I've often thought how difficult it must be to go through life without a sounding board, without someone to keep your issues in perspective, without someone to celebrate your triumphs and grieve your losses, without someone who makes it clear that she loves you and desires you and feels lust in her heart for you.

And you're absolutely right, you can't help but look and be interested. And you have to try to sublimate that instinct a little bit, at least, so you don't come off as desperate. But it is very hard to do.

Anyway, you're a great thinker and writer, thanks for keeping the blog going. 

Message from Kevin Barney

Anonymous said...

Kwirki, Michelle, Lizzy, Kelly: Amen sisters!

Thanks, Kevin. It's nice to know there is a sympathetic ear (eye?) out there. [I know there are more of you but they are lurking without comment.] That's so great you can still appreciate your wife for being there after 24 years. 

Message from JL

Anonymous said...

Check out this serendipitous weirdness.

Today I ran into the student who sent me that email. He was coming out of a deli near Madison Square. Nowhere near the college. He called me 'professor' which was odd to hear on the street. I've only run into a handful of students, funny that I ran into him right after I got his mail. But he sent it a month ago so he must think I dissed him.

This is a crazy universe my friends. 

Message from JL

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

"Consider how much better it will be when those days are over and you don't have to be concerned about that."

That meant, Consider how it will be to be settled down and not have to worry about finding somebody, because you found them.

Sorry, bad proofreading. 

Message from Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Miss Celibate,

Please delete the two anonymous entries above if you don't mind? That bishop comment was unkind.

Thanks. 

Message from Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Help, there still there. Be a good girl and 'remove by blog admistrator' please? I promise to write nicer.

Thanks. 

Message from Anonymous

Anonymous said...

JL- All I can say is AMEN. You said it all, and you said it perfextly.

Beautiful job. 

Message from Sarah Marinara

Anonymous said...

Last thought from Anonymous about other the other thoughts. I am teaching for some reason about the purpose of the church in the last hour next Sunday. No matter how I criticize other members, the church will move forward with or without me. I am very sorry for cricizing my Bishop and I am making a vow to never criticize unkindly, only constructively if it helps, any member of the church, no matter what they say about my marital status or anything else. I just spilled my pretzels on my notebook computer so maybe that was my punishment for speaking evil about a man who holds a calling in the church. I am sorry. Thanks. And I am going to try and stop cussing. 

Message from Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Last thought from Anonymous about other the other thoughts. I am teaching for some reason about the purpose of the church in the last hour next Sunday. No matter how I criticize other members, the church will move forward with or without me. I am very sorry for cricizing my Bishop and I am making a vow to never criticize unkindly, only constructively if it helps, any member of the church, no matter what they say about my marital status or anything else. I just spilled my pretzels on my notebook computer so maybe that was my punishment for speaking evil about a man who holds a calling in the church. I am sorry. Thanks. And I am going to try and stop cussing. 

Message from Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Anon,
I didn't delete your comment the first time you asked because I thought it was another person taking offense at your comment but I didn't see anything offensive. I didn't delete your comment later because I do not appreciate being told to "BE A GOOD GIRL". That is SSOOO condescending and offensive there was no way I was going to respond to your request.  

Message from JL

Anonymous said...

JL, no kidding!! I've got a great life, and some days I just want someone to hold me so badly that I'm tempted to just find a hook-up who only wants to cuddle a bit. My uber-feminist side scolds my feminine side for wishing I had a man in my life, but that's just the way it is and guilt trips don't make the wish go away. 

Message from Janey

Anonymous said...

Miss JL,

I apologize for that comment 'be a good girl'. I don't have any social skills obviously. I am retarded. I have no brains, or sensitivity towards others. I don't deserve your consideration in this matter.

I am so seriously sorry, I can't say how much I am sorry. By the way I still see that comment up there.

Please believe me, I am seriously sorry. All of the Anonymous' are mine. I just respectfully request that the paragraph about the bishop be stricken please? Please have mercy on me, kind lady, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks.  

Message from Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Thank you Miss JL, for the deletion. I love our church and I should try to sustain my fellow members more than I do. Thanks again. 

Message from Anonymous