9.13.2004

My Bloggernacle Blind Date

As Steve mentioned in the comments below, no major catastrophes ensued so I cannot entertain everyone with stories of horror. But there are other interesting aspects to this.

Last Saturday night I met 5 people(2 married couples and my date) in the Lower East Side for dinner, all mormons and all strangers. The idea was for me to meet this other bloggernacker's friend. [For those of you who don't know, the LDS(mormon) online blog community has dubbed itself the 'Bloggernacle'.] These two guys met each other in college but Steve up and got himself married thus leaving his buddy behind. I think his guilt for this act of disloyalty still haunts him so he's trying to get his friend married off too.

Steve emailed me and asked if I was interested in going on a blind date. I found the idea of a blind date a novel one and had no reason to decline. He arranged the whole thing. We had yummy grilled cheese sandwiches and then went for some Chinatown ice cream: Good food, good ice cream(I had the ginger flavor), good conversation, it was a successful night. My date is a nice guy with two degrees and a job! He behaved politely and was also good for a laugh or two.

I was surprised when one of the women said it was time to go home at 10:30! I never go out with married people so I had to assume that's a normal behavior. Then I remembered that married people have 'stuff' they can do at home on Saturday night. Going home to my cats with a few more hours of Saturday night to kill isn't very appealing to me, but, I understand. Had I someone to go home with I might not want to hang out in the village all night long either.

I've already heard from the young man, via email of course. That's content for another post.

Next up: "Welcome to the Desert of the Real"

Come back for more TRUE stories of the strange, sad and pathetic exploits of me not having sex in the city.